UK Customs Clearance

As of 1 January 2017, it was made mandatory for individuals to apply for a ToR – Transfer of Residence if wishing to obtain relief of taxes/duties on personal effects shipments entering the UK from outside of the EU. The online application can be found on the following link:

The application must be made in advance of your belongings landing in the UK and successful applicants will receive a URN (Unique Reference Number). This should then be forwarded to Arrowdene where we can use this for the formal customs entry upon arrival.

The application form can be populated online, however, this should be printed and a wet-signature added to authenticate.

How to make a ToR application:

The ToR01 application form can be found at the following link:

Please note, the form will need printing off and a wet-signature applied. Thereafter, this can be sent either by way of email ( or post. We strongly suggest emailing this form as it will provide you with an automated email receipt stating that customs have received and will process accordingly.

Information required to complete the form is as follows:

  • An email address and phone number – In most cases, as long as successful, customs will provide the URN (Unique Reference Number) to the email you provided to them.
  • Employer details (if applicable). Inclusive of address.
  • The address of your new home in the UK – HMRC are aware that the address is not always known at the stage of the application and therefore a temporary address will suffice.
  • The address of the home you are moving from outside of the EU. You will need to provide copies of the rental/purchase agreement for this property.
  • If you have previously lived in the UK or another EU country. You’re required to provide dates and reasons for leaving. This will need to include details of previous employers/educational institutes along with your previous residential address.
  • If you are importing a vehicle. You will need the make, model, year, VIN, date and country of registration and the purchase date.
  • Goods arrival date. The expected arrival date of the personal effects to the UK.

In addition to the application form, you will also require the following documents to accompany it:

  • Copy of your passport (photo page)
  • Copy of Visa (where applicable)
  • Proof of Registration. Showing that you’ve taken up residence in the UK and the date you did so. If you are unable to produce this, you may also send some other comparable document providing reasonable evidence of this.
  • Two x signed lists of the goods you wish to import. This would normally be the packing list that the origin agent produces after packing your goods professionally. If you’re applying prior to pack out, you may also use an itemised insurance inventory.
  • Copy of a document which shows your reason for living in the UK. This could consist of an employment contract, a statement from your employer, work permit etc.

Successful applicants will receive a response from HMRC via email with your Unique Reference Number (URN). Forward this onto your move manager and we can then proceed with moving your shipment from origin to the UK. Without this approval, we will not be able to clear the goods into the UK and therefore it is essential to address this as soon as possible so as to not hold up your consignment.